Q: Blew whitish smoke out both ends and dead

Husband was driving and said it acted like it wanted to go dead turning but when he was coming to a stop, whitish smoke blew from under the hood and out the tailpipe and went dead. Couldn't get it to turn over. Oil still in.

Hi there:

When an engine blows out white/bluish smoke, it’s typically caused by one of two things; bad piston rings or bad valve guides in the cylinder heads. When the smoke comes out while accelerating, it’s usually caused by oil getting past the piston rings in the combustion chamber. If it’s while the car is decelerating, it’s typically caused by the valve guides. Both situations mean that oil is burning and can cause an engine to quit running if it’s a severe issue. However, it can also indicate a severe coolant system leak, which is common with a blown head gasket.

The best suggestion I would offer is to have a local ASE certified mechanic inspect your vehicle to properly diagnose the smoke that emitted and suggest a repair.