Q: black oil short time

My friend has a Tercel with 250,000 km on it. The problem is that the engine oil gets too dark too fast. It doesn’t matter which oil you put in it. The oil gets black in a short time even when you don’t drive very much. When he presses down on the gas pedal hard and accelerates dark blue oil comes out of the exhaust. But when he is driving slowly the smoke is no where to be seen. He always changes the oil by the manual. Do you have any ideas about what could be wrong with his car?

A: The blue smoke coming out of the exhaust in...

The blue smoke coming out of the exhaust indicates that the engine is burning oil. That little Tercel motor has a lot of wear and tear on it. And the reason the oil gets dark faster than it used to is because compression from the cylinders is leaking past worn out piston rings and going down into the oil and contaminating it. I wouldn’t be concerned about the dark oil. Just keep the oil filled up and realize that the engine is sending signals that it is approaching the end of its life.