Q: Big fast oil leak killed the whole motor

My 2009 Subaru Outback burned through all of the oil in the engine in what must have been a small amount of time and then the whole motor seized up so badly that it needs to be replaced. All of that at 85,000 miles! How? I have to replace the motor now, but I am really unimpressed with the quality here. How can I prevent this if the next motor starts burning oil?

Typically, the standard in the automotive industry is that an engine burning 1 quart of oil every 1000-1200 miles is “normal.” The oil level of the engine should be checked every time the gas tank is filled. Subarus are known to have head gasket issues, as well as oil seepage/leakage from the crankshaft oil seals and/or the timing chain cover. Aggressive preventative maintenance will help prevent this issue from happening again. The oil level should be checked frequently, oil changes should be performed (at maximum) every 5000 miles, coolant should be replaced every 45,000 miles or 5 years. A local mechanic (like those with YourMechanic) can help you stay on top of preventative maintenance and can inspect critical areas any time a service is performed.