Q: Belt squeaking when I drive. How do I get it to stop?

I sprayed too much belt dressing on my belts and now they are making a loud squeaking noise. A mechanic checked all of the pulley, the tensioner, and the belts, which were tight. The compressor was also fine. The squeaking continues while I am driving. What do I need to have fixed to stop the squeaking?

A: The problem with most belt dressings is the...

The problem with most belt dressings is they work by causing a softening of the rubber compound the belt is made of, which although may be convenient to quickly stop a squeaking noise, in the long run is not a good thing. If you sprayed an excessive amount you have most likely damaged the belt and it is very likely filling up the grooves in your pulleys. My advice is to have a mechanic, remove and replace the belt, and make sure all pulleys are clean.