Q: Belt rattling

The serpentine belt is rattling. I was wondering if I need to replace it.

If you are hearing a rattling sound from the belt area, it is likely coming from one of your pulleys or your belt tensioner. I would recommend having your engine and belt area inspected and listened to by a mechanic with an automotive stethoscope for an accurate diagnosis of your noise. This stethoscope can assist in finding noises coming from the engine that may be difficult to hear with the naked ear. Once the noisy pulley or belt tensioner has been found, it is a good idea to go ahead and replace the belt as well for maintenance purposes.

3. Belt rattling