Q: Belt makes squealing noise - 1991 Dodge Spirit

The belt on my car keeps making squealing noise. I have tried numerous things, including cleaning pulleys, tightening the belt, spraying WD40, candle waxing, sand paper, etc. Once I tightened it so much that the belt blew after a very short distance. WD40 helped somewhat but it the squealing continues. What should I do?

Hello. Thanks for writing in about your 1991 Dodge Spirit. The pulleys on the car would need to be checked for alignment. If any of the pulleys are even slightly misaligned, then this will occur. If the pulleys are fine, then they need to be checked for binding by spinning them by hand. If any of them are binding, then this will occur. If you want to have this checked, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can come to your home or office to diagnose the belt noise and guide you with the correct repairs.

3. Belt makes squealing noise - 1991 Dodge Spirit