Q: Battery voltage malfuction in scanner. 2004 Honda Element

Wired high pitch sound like a loose ground while driving and not moving

A: Hey there. This may be related to a weak or...

Hey there. This may be related to a weak or failing alternator. As you may know, the alternator is responsible for charging your car's battery. When an alternator begins to wear out or fail, it may produce a whining sound as you describe. This may also cause a fluctuation in the battery voltage as well due to an erratic charging pattern common with a failing alternator. If you would like to have this addressed, a certified pro from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to inspect the charging system and noise, and can follow through with an alternator replacement as needed.