Q: Battery messages displayed on the driver's information centre

My Vauxhall corsa is just over a year old, the first message was around three weeks ago, saying, service battery charging system, with a picture of a spanner. The next message was two weeks ago on a journey, battery charging activated with a explanation mark. Put it into local dealer and a new engine sensor unit was fitted, but since this has been carried out the first message has returned to the driver's information centre twice. What should I do? We've only had the car a month.

Hello and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. The issue is that the vehicle’s charging system is malfunctioning. Check the alternator for voltage increase with the engine running. If the voltage is 13.5 to 14.7, then the alternator is producing a good voltage. Now with the engine running, put a load on the battery simulating that the battery is dead and the alternator should produce its full amount of amperage. Check the amperage on the alternator and verify the amperage with the amperage listed on the alternator. If you need assistance with the charging system, then seek out a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, to diagnose the charging issue with your vehicle.