Q: Battery light is on, car won't start

I was driving and the battery light came on. 5 minutes later the van only stayed in one gear. When I pulled up in front of my house and shut the van off and tried to start it again, it would not turn over and it kept making a clicking sound every time I tried to turn it over. What could be the problem?

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. I'd be happy...

Hi, thanks for writing in. I'd be happy to help. This is a common issue when the starter relay is failing. This is a unit that directs power from the battery to the starter. When this is failing, this will cause the clicking and non-starting sound you describe. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home or office to confirm a diagnosis on the issue and make or suggest the necessary repairs or replacements.