Q: Battery is working and the electrics are not working

My 2012 Chevy Malibu is now having a very difficult time starting up. At least once a week, it just will not turn over! The car is pretty new, with only over 30,000 miles on it. It’s not the battery, as all the electronics work when this happens. I'm worried that this is a sign of a bigger issue in there somewhere. Is it a bad sign?

From reading your complaint, it sounds like you have plenty of battery power but your engine still won’t turn over. If this is the case, then your car may have one of several problems. Other owners have had body control modules causing erratic no crank and/or no start conditions, like you describe. The problem was fixed by replacing the module. I would recommend you have YourMechanic confirm that there is a problem with the module before replacing it. Another problem found was in Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) Pl1462 for an intermittent no start condition due to problems with the wire harness and fuse block causing the fuel pump to lose power. The TSB calls for replacement of the fuse block and repair or replacement of the harness as needed. Since you have low mileage and may still be under the basic manufacturer warranty, you can have YourMechanic confirm this for you through a diagnostic test. The first thing YourMechanic will need to do is verify your complaint and scan the computer for codes which may indicate a problem, then do diagnostics for the code.

3. Battery is working and the electrics are not working