Q: Q: Battery dying overnight

My battery is dying over night. I replaced the battery and it still died. The voltmeter says I am drawing 3.65 to 4.22 amps. I pulled every fuse and found that pulling the radio fuse dropped the drain to 1.65 amps, which seemed to fix the problem. I need to solve this issue so I can use my radio.

It could be the accessory relay sticking or a problem with the radio itself. With the battery hooked up, get in the vehicle and turn the key to the accessory position and turn on the radio. Turn the key off and see if the radio shuts off. If not, open the driver’s door, it should turn off at that point, if not the radio has failed and will need replaced. If the radio turns off as it should, and you still have an amperage draw, the problem could be in the amplifier to the radio. It sounds like you are on the right track by pulling individual fuses. Look for warmer-than-usual relays as this would indicate one that is sticking. If you still can’t find the draw, enlist the assistance of a technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to diagnose and repair your dying battery.

3. Q: Battery dying overnight