Q: Battery drains and gauges quite working

My jeeps alternator went out so i bought a new one and put it in and now the battery wont stay charged and my gauges quite working battery is over 3 years old was going to get a new battery and see if that fixes the issue

I would start with changing the battery first as this is a cheaper, less expensive fix to your potential problem and presents a greater chance that this is the problem. If this does not correct the problem, you may have a faulty voltage regulator. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator. When the voltage regulator is not working properly, this may result in the alternator allowing too much power to be delivered to the battery resulting in damaging wires and prematurely sometimes destroying the battery. A common sign of this is usually the acid inside the battery boiling causing the battery to swell. You may also smell a bit of smoke due to things potentially getting too hot. In other cases it may result in the alternator not supplying enough power to the battery, resulting in undercharging the battery or not charging it at all. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your vehicle’s charging system.