Q: Battery dies out quickly

I've been having problems with the car battery dying out very quickly. I would listen to music for about half an hour with the ignition off, and the battery would be dead. Then I would have problems starting it afterwards. I had to have the car jump-started several times. I went to the dealership and they had the battery tested and it's fine. Is there any way I could prevent this?

It may be that the battery is near the end of its useful life, even though the dealership said it was OK. I suggest having the battery replaced first. If that does not help, the alternator may be bad or there may be a parasitic drain on the battery. The battery is basically just a storage device that has to be regularly charged by the alternator. Without a properly operating alternator, the battery won’t be sufficiently charged. If the alternator is OK, the next step is to check for a parasitic draw on the battery somewhere in one of the vehicle’s electrical systems. I suggest you have someone else other than the dealer inspect your vehicle’s draining battery firsthand. YourMechanic is an excellent option since we make house calls.