Q: Battery dies out quickly

I've been having problems with the car battery dying out very quickly. I would listen to music for about half an hour with the ignition off, and the battery would be dead. Then I would have problems starting it afterwards. I had to have the car jump-started several times. I went to the dealership and they had the battery tested and it's fine. Is there any way I could prevent this?

A: It may be that the battery is near the end ...

It may be that the battery is near the end of its useful life, even though the dealership said it was OK. I suggest having the battery replaced first. If that does not help, the alternator may be bad or there may be a parasitic drain on the battery. The battery is basically just a storage device that has to be regularly charged by the alternator. Without a properly operating alternator, the battery won't be sufficiently charged. If the alternator is OK, the next step is to check for a parasitic draw on the battery somewhere in one of the vehicle's electrical systems. I suggest you have someone else other than the dealer inspect your vehicle's draining battery firsthand. YourMechanic is an excellent option since we make house calls.