Q: Battery dies out frequently on 1992 Volvo 740

The battery in my car keeps dying out. Within the last month, I had to get the car jumpstarted numerous times. I had the battery replaced eventually. It has been tested during driving as well as during filling the gas tank. It's been tested when the car was not running as well. Everything checked out fine. I had the connectors cleaned. Yesterday when I was about to go someplace, I found the battery died out yet again. Do you have any idea why?

Hey there, thanks for writing in about your 1992 Volvo 740. I see where you mention the battery tests while the vehicle was running, so I will assume you had the charging system tested and it checked out fine. A shorted circuit in the vehicle’s electrical system can cause a component to stay powered up all the time, even when the key is out of the ignition. This is called a parasitic drain and can kill the battery with no operation. If you would like to have this looked at, a certified pro from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the electrical system and determine why the battery keeps dying.