Q: Battery dies all the time

Hi i have a 2005 gmc jimmy 2 door and the battery dies constantly, i can boost it and run it and it still does not have enough power to turn over after even as long as an hour running, the alternator is new and so is my battery is new. Is there some kind of common wiring problem wih this year of jimmy? If so where should i start to figure out the problem?

A: Hello. The first check you would have to do...

Hello. The first check you would have to do is look in the main fuse box in the engine compartment and verify all the big cables going into the box are clean and tight and all the fuses are good. The next check is to see if the alternator is charging.

For this you would need a battery charging system tester or a multi-meter with an amp probe attachment to check if the alternator is charging the battery or not. If the alternator is not charging then you would need to seek a professional mechanic to check the electrical system to see why the alternator is not charging the electrical system, and also check the harness to the alternator and battery for any problems.

The most common issue for this with your truck is that connections can get corroded and loose in the battery cables. This is a result from past battery acid leaks that get into the cables and corrode them until they don't make contact anymore.