Q: Battery cable needs replacing

I believe the battery cable connected to the car is burned or needs to be replaced. The car won't start.

Battery cables are a possibility for an engine not to crank. However, many other things will need to be inspected as well. First, test the battery -- 5 years is about average for the service life. Next, check the starter, as it could have failed. If the engine is cranking, but not starting, a whole other line of diagnostics is in order. The problem can also be anti-theft related -- your ignition key has a transponder in it that can be malfunctioning. If the key or the computer malfunctions, the engine will not crank -- a warning light on the dash will alert you to this. If you would like this inspected or repaired, consider having a qualified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come and replace your battery cables.