Q: Can I Change My Own Battery?

I did a oil change changed the spark plugs had a mechanic that said had a battery for 30 so i said ok i buy it so he puts it in then the inside of the car starts flashing everywhere then the car starts to idle and hesitate to drive i told him put mines back which he did now i know i have to get a new battery because i dont have one on but when i do buy one and put it on is there something i need to be doing before i crank the ignition

Changing your own battery need not be complicated. But you have to get it right the first time or you can do a lot of damage. You must be sure that the Negative battery post goes to the Ground Cable and the Positive Battery Post is connected to the B+ cable. Usually the cables are color coded red for positive and black for negative, but in older cars that have been worked on a few times, It’s always possible that someone has replaced a cable with the wrong color code. Hooking up the battery backwards, even for just a moment can do hundreds or even thousands of dollars in damage to your car’s electrical system. There are also some issues that may pop up because the power was interrupted while you made the change, The radio may need recoding or the power windows may need to be synchronized but these are minor issues that are easily corrected and I’ll bet it has already happened to you after reading the description of your problem. If you would like to have a professional replace your battery and save you from these issues you can contact Your Mechanic to have a technician come to your home or office and replace your battery for you.

3. Can I Change My Own Battery?