Q: Battery + Brake Light came on.

Battery + Brake Light came on and my car wont start. All the lights come on..but when i try to crank my car it makes a whining sound. I was told it was my starter had a new put on.

Hi There, Your brake light signals that there is some kind of issue going on with the battery or your charging system which consists mainly of your alternator and voltage regulator which work together to keep the battery charged. When this light comes on, it usually indicates that one of these is not working properly. As you may know, the alternator is responsible for charging the battery while the engine runs by generating amperage and recharging the battery while the engine turns the alternator. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator and maintaining a certain amperage while the engine runs. When the alternator is not working properly, this may result in the battery quickly losing charge and the car losing all power as you have described. You may also notice a whining sound as a result of the bearings inside the alternator begin to fail.

Your brake light signals that your brake pads may be worn and due to be replaced or that you have a leak somewhere in your brake hydraulic system. The brake reservoir has a sensor inside that detects when the brake fluid reaches a certain point which generally indicates that it is time to replace the pads. As your pads wear thinner and thinner over time, the brake lines require more and more brake fluid to maintain the same amount of hydraulic pressure in the brake lines. As a result, the brake fluid level sensor will trigger a warning light indicating that the brake fluid level is low. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your braking system to determine what may be causing this light to come on. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

3. Battery + Brake Light came on.