Q: Bad transmission makes truck jump forward

Whenever my 2006 Ford explorer shifts up, the transmission lunges and makes the car jolt. It is extremely uncomfortable and this vehicle is not old enough to be experiencing such severe problems. It only has 68,000 miles on it. The more research I do, the more reports I am finding of this exact same problem. I'm disappointed to say the least! How can I change out the transmission without putting another one in there that isn't working properly?

A: The shift servos in the transmission are bi...

The shift servos in the transmission are binding in their bores and causing the shifting issues you are experiencing. Ford has issued a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 09-12-12 dated June 29, 2009. The TSB is a modification to the servo shaft bores by drilling them bigger and putting a sleeve in each shaft bore and cross bore of the valve body. This can only be done during an overhaul of the transmission and requires specialized tools from Ford for the corrections. If a used or remanufactured transmission is put in, it is not guaranteed to have the updates to the transmission housing. The only way to know is to have your transmission overhauled at the dealer with the TSB performed.