Q: Bad steering problem, fluid leaked and parts might need replacing

My 2010 Chevrolet Traverse has had one of the seals in the steering rack start leaking and now the steering is all creaky and rough. Not too happy to be replacing this part at 65,000 miles. The mechanic says that they have to replace the whole part, not just the seal. Now why is that?

The Rack and Pinion leaking has been an ongoing issue with 2007-2011 model GM vehicles equipped with this rack and pinion/steering pump combination. The reason the whole part (rack and pinion unit) has to be replaced is because the particular seal (not sold individually) that failed is inside the unit and is not accessible. In order to replace the seal the whole rack and pinion has to be taken apart, which can only be done at the factory. It also allows you to replace all the parts subject to internal wear, saving you labor costs that would be required for individual piece replacement. It is alway recommended to take the car to the alignment shop and have it adjusted to specification after this type of repair (including having the steering wheel centered). A mechanic at YourMechanic can check your four wheel alignment.