Q: Bad sounding brakes, happens on the road

The brakes on my 2010 Toyota Corolla have begun to make a loud grinding noise when the vehicle is in motion. It first started whenever the car went over rough road surfaces, so I figured it was just from the extra vibration. The next time it happened after I applied the brakes on a paved road, and the grinding noise continued for some time. Now the noise is constant. The car doesn’t even have 30,000 miles on it yet! I need to get this fixed, what is the best way to go about this without replacing parts that aren’t broken?

A: The surface of your brakes pads on your car...

The surface of your brakes pads on your car are prone to stress or heat related cracks. This can happen at any age or mileage on the pads. There was nothing you could have done to prevent this problem and going over the rough road surface may have just brought the problem to the surface. These cracks can cause a noise that sounds like metal to metal grinding together and the noise will seem worse at lower vehicle speeds. To best address this issue without replacing functional parts would be to contact YourMechanic to get a thorough brake, steering and suspension check. The certified mechanic can test drive your vehicle to identify the noise you are hearing in order to isolate the source and determine whether it is coming from the front and/or rear. They will determine if noise is from the suspension, drive train or brakes. After the test drive they can perform a physical inspection of brakes or other components and give you a quote for any needed repairs to fix your problems. When it comes to your brakes, I would not cut corners with any of these repairs and get a certified mechanic.