Q: Bad pedal response maes driving sketchy

I drive a 2007 Toyota Sienna that has a problem with the automatic transmission. It feels like it can’t keep up with deceleration and when I press the gas pedal to accelerate, nothing happens. It's very frustrating for me to get honked at in traffic! Is this some weird feature or is the transmission broken?

Hello! Thank you for writing in with this question. Does the Check Engine Light illuminate when this happens? If so, a local mechanic (like those with YourMechanic) can diagnose your transmission system with a scan tool. This problem could be caused by an electrical fault with the throttle position sensor. It could also be a mechanical (clutches, valve body, etc.) or electrical (solenoids, computer, etc.) issue with the transmission. These transmissions (U151E) are not known for their reliability. A quick check that you can do on your own is to pull the transmission dipstick and check the quality of the fluid. If the fluid is bright red and clear, it is okay. If the fluid is shimmery, silver, or smells foul, most likely there is a mechanical issue within the transmission.

3. Bad pedal response maes driving sketchy