Q: Bad head gasket on a 1987 Porsche 944 Turbo

I've just bought a 1987 Porsche 944 Turbo. It was parked for three years and the old owners say that the gasket's bad but I want to know if any other things need to be replaced since it's been sitting for three years. Should I expect other things to be cracking or slugging?

A: You certainly can on an older car like that...

You certainly can on an older car like that. Let me tell you something, I worked on one of those last year (the same year model), and the guy who originally owned the car was a professional wrestler and thought it was going to be worth money so he bought it and it only had 15,000 miles on it.

But today, this car is falling apart. They are endless money pits, so I hope you didn’t spend that much money on it, because, they are not worth much anymore. Even the restored one isn’t worth that much money.

What I would advise you is to hire yourself a mechanic and have them do some tests on the engine and if you find out that the head gasket is blown, and you have to take engine apart, I wouldn’t even think about it--just sell it for scrape and let it sit, rather than put money into it. The one I worked on, I told the guy--to get it so it ran safely, he was going to have to spend 10,000 dollars with me, and when you are done with the car, the way it stands, it would be worth 3,000. So, don’t put too much money into that thing.