Q: Bad gas mileage on a European 1.6-cylinder, 8-valve car

I have a European car--1.6-cylinder, 8-valve. Recently it started to get bad gas mileage. I just changed the oil filter but I still have the problem. What do I check first?

Have a mechanic look at the data coming out of it. See if the MAF sensor is wearing out and not giving the right data and see how fuel injectors are firing. Perhaps you have a fuel injector servicing done to clean them because dirty ones will give you a bad gas mileage. Of course, change the oil filter and the fuel filter and pray that one of those things are not clogged and giving you a problem. You’d want to hope that it is not the engine itself starting to wear out. Then have a wet and dry compression test done on the engine to see if it’s okay. A technician from YourMechanic can give your a car a tune up to so that you can optimize your gas mileage, and a full inspection to determine if there are any major faults.

3. Bad gas mileage on a European 1.6-cylinder, 8-valve car