Q: Bad blower motor

My 01 4runner has a bad blower motor for the heat and ac for the second time now. I replaced it for the first time a little over a year ago with one that I picked up from a scrap yard here in town and it just recently went out again. The car was about 15 years old with approx. 205000 miles when the first one went out and now, a little under a year since I replaced it, it has burned out again. Both of the ones replaced didn't spin near as freely as the ones I have been replacing them with. I'm thinking that's the problem with why they keep burning up on me. Did I just have badluck with the first replaced one I picked out? Or could there be an electrical surge to it with the sound system I have in my vehicle?

Any time a used part from a salvage yard is used you take your chances the part will work for very long. Remember the blower you got most likely was just as old as your blower motor and may have had more or less use. These blower motors bearings start to go out in about 10 years and will start to draw more and more power to turn. You already stated the new ones turned harder than the one taken out. I would recommend purchasing a replacement motor from a parts store and installing the new aftermarket blower motor.

3. Bad blower motor