Q: Bad Battery after long term parking

My car was parked for 4 months and when I came back, the battery need to be jump started. I drove for around an hour after that and have been driving a couple of miles every day in the last week (i.e. for 6 days after the first jump start). However, my car again failed to start.

I am wondering what should I do: (1) Should I drive for very long once? (2) Somehow charge the battery? (3) Replace the battery?

Is there an easy way to test the battery health?

A: You can and should start by having your bat...

You can and should start by having your battery tested. Most technicians and local parts stores are capable of testing it. You can perform certain tests at home as well with a voltmeter. This may be a battery issue. It may also be an alternator issue. If the alternator is not charging the battery, it will run poorly and fail to start. If the battery is weak, and there is some form of electrical draw on the battery while the car is off, this will also deplete the battery below starting voltage. If both the battery and the alternator test good, or you switch the battery and it still fails to start, you will want to look at the starter first. The starter can fail in a number of ways, including the solenoid that helps provide its power.