Q: Bad acceleration, not when I expect it

I experienced what people are calling ‘sudden unintended acceleration’ in my 2008 Toyota Tacoma. My car has 75,000 miles on it and has an automatic transmission. The first time, it accelerated when I was coming to a red light. It jerked forward so hard that I thought someone rear-ended me. I am worried that this scary problem could cause an accident in the future. How can I fix this?

Hello! Thank you for writing in about this problem. Unintended acceleration concerns for these vehicles are well documented. Toyota recall 09V-388 specifically addresses your concern. You should schedule an appointment with your local Toyota dealer as soon as possible, so they can inspect your vehicle as part of the recall.