Q: Axel nut not coming off

I'm changing my wheel bearings, but the axle nut is not coming off. It's all the way at the end of the threads of the axle, and now it spins freely and will not go on tighter or off. It is on the last few threads. Any suggestions?

Hi there, thanks for writing in. The end of the axle is most likely mushroomed out on the end from someone hitting the end with a hammer and damaging it. You will have to tighten the nut back just enough to file the damaged area of the axle, so the nut will come off. If you are unable to do this, then you may have to cut the nut off and replace the axle shaft. If you would like some help, consider having one of our certified automotive technicians come to your home or office to inspect this issue for you and make the necessary repairs. We can also help you change your wheel bearings.