Q: Automatic transmission

I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 2W drive. Automatic 46re... There appears to be a check valve in the lower line that runs from the transmission to the radiator. I have been told that is no longer available. I have put a 1997 trans (46re) in the truck and want to know if that check valve is still to be used or removed from the line. I had it blow apart on me and I lost all the fluid. Should I remove the valve from the circuit?

Unless there is a check valve in the fitting on the transmission side (sometimes there is) then you have to retrofit it. There are aftermarket check valves available. You can contact a major transmission supply house and simply ask them for a part number or a suggested alternative. The 46RE was a very common transmission and so if you contact a 46RE rebuilder, they will also have a solution that they can advise you of. If you have further questions or concerns, or these possibilities do not resolve this for you, simply re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Automatic transmission