Q: Auto sliding door broke, need it to use my van

I bought my 2006 Toyota Sienna after I had a serious back injury and needed something with an automatic sliding door. After 80,000 miles, the motor totally died and I had to flag down someone in the supermarket parking lot to get it closed. I figured I got my use out of it and had it replaced (not cheap). Now I am at 105,000 miles and another motor has burnt out. Am I overusing these doors or are the motors defective?

Hello! Thank you for writing in with this question. This problem is common to that generation of Sienna. In February of 2012, Toyota released Technical Service Bulletin (TSB 0085-09) for this specific concern. The TSB outlines the diagnostic procedure and replacement of the defective parts with an updated part number. The specific coverage is based on the VIN, and it may or may not be covered under Toyota warranty. Contact your local Toyota dealer, explain the problem, mention the TSB number, and schedule an appointment for an inspection and/or repair. If the vehicle is covered under warranty and the door motor needs to be replaced, it should be covered at no additional cost to you. Once the motor is replaced, adding a spray lubricant (silicone, WD40, etc.) to the sliding door rails may help mitigate future problems.

3. Auto sliding door broke, need it to use my van