Q: audi a4 computer

I was thinking about purchasing this 03 audi a4 from this dealer in my city with 70,000 miles only.only problem is the computer is messed up in it.which means car would Need to be fixed before driving so that transmission doesn't mess up.dealer told me he will sell as is for $2,000 cash or $4,500 fixing it then financing it .I'm confused on which deal I'd be better off taking..please help

A: First thing I am going to suggest is to che...

First thing I am going to suggest is to check your local car sales listings to compare what an A4 is selling for with similar mileage. This should give you some answers as to whether or not the car is valued correctly.

As for the repair the dealer is offering, a $2500 repair is definitely not cheap, but it may be the going rate for such a repair. In most cases, the best place to have a German car computer replaced is the dealer. Even so, I would make a few calls to some other dealers and get some quotes. Keep in mind, it is very important you know exactly what the dealer is doing with the repair in order to get an accurate comparison from another dealer. A simple wrong wording can result in an inaccurate quote. Often, the details that make the difference are small and sometimes it is difficult to relay accurate information to a customer about complicated repairs.

I suggest having them print a detailed quote for the repairs, then you can show it to another dealer or independent shop and see if they can match or beat it.

The next issue is the financing. If you buy the car but can't pay for a $2500 repair, then it sounds like the dealer maybe helping you out by fixing it then financing it. If this is the case, then you really have only one choice. My only worry with this scenario is, what if their repair doesn't fix the problem? This happens all the time with repairs. Especially with electronics. If I were you, I would be asking for assurances that there won't be extra cost added to the price if their initial repair isn't correct. Otherwise, I could see you signing a deal that they could add costs for additional repairs, or you might end up with a vehicle that isn't completely fixed. This situation warrants a thorough discussion, and you are talking with a dealer who are notorious salesmen. If you should trust them for some reason, then go for it. I personally don't know a salesman that I trust that much.

This could be a good deal. Just pay attention to the details I mentioned. Keep in mind, there maybe more details that may not work out in your favor.

Good luck. I hope it works out.