Q: At what mileage should your plugs be changed ? 2008 Cadillac STS

My 2008 STS just started experienced rough acceleration accompanied by flashing check engine light. Over 163,000 miles. Should I change spark plugs?

Hi there - first step is to check the problem codes causing your Check Engine light to come on and go back off. Most auto parts stores will do this for you for free on a "time-available" basis. If you still have the original spark plugs in your engine, it’s a safe bet the plugs are shot. They should be changed at 100K mile intervals at least. I recommend a engine misfire inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. At what mileage should your plugs be changed ? 2008 Cadillac STS