Q: At 55 mph, car stalled and then restarted itself

When I was driving at the speed of around 55 mph, my car just stalled. Then 20 seconds later, it started “on its own!” I have counted and it has happened 28 times since that first time. I have been to the dealership, but they can't diagnose it. I checked and my vehicle is not on any recall list. My current mileage is 127,000. Can you tell me what has caused this and what will fix it?

A: Intermittent issues such as this can take a...

Intermittent issues such as this can take awhile to diagnose since the problem may not appear in form when it is being examined. They can not be diagnosed until the fault becomes visible, so the technician's computers can observe the fault and determine what the cause was. This type of stalling can have a few potential causes. Most common being the ignition switch, battery, alternator, battery cable or intermittent wiring fault. I recommend having a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your car's location when the issue occurs in order to diagnose the stalling fault and perform any repairs required.