Q: At 55 mph, car's front end started shaking

On normal road conditions, I was driving around 55 mph when my car’s front end started shaking. The problem continued to get worse as I continued to drive. I went to an independent repair shop to have my car inspected and was told that the problem was the perch. He also explained that it supports the coil springs and that they were separated from the structure. He was not able to assist in this and I was referred to a dealership. Before I proceed with the dealer’s repairs, what is your advice about how this can be fixed?

Hey there, thanks for writing in about your 1997 Mercedes-Benz E300. This is also related to your question above regarding the coil springs. As he explained, the perch is a structure that supports the coil springs. Often times, when one or the other fails, the other will also fail shortly after due to the extreme amount of stress that these components are subjected to. I would suggest having a professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your home or office to diagnose the shaking problem and help you move forward with repairs.