Q: Are transfer cases engine specific? For example can I put a used 3.7L Transfer case in my car if my car is a 5.7L 4WD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee

My transfer case is broken in my Jepp grand Cherokee 05 So I found a used one with 90,000 miles on a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee but it is a 3.7L and my jeep is a 5.7 L 4WD, does this matter?

Hello - transfer cases tend to be specific to the transmission, not the engine. In your case, your 5.7l Grand Cherokee has the 5-45RFE transmission, while the 3.7l equipped models use the W5A580 transmission. The major differences in the transmissions are the torque capacity they are designed to handle. This will also be true of the transfer cases - they have design limits for the power they can handle. The transmission rear case will be designed for the transfer case it is designed to use as well. I would recommend using only the transfer case designed for your engine and transmission.

3. Are transfer cases engine specific? For example can I put a used 3.7L Transfer case in my car if my car is a 5.7L 4WD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee