Q: Any ideas why my transmission is not shifting properly?

I have an 01 ford explorer sport Trac it's four wheel drive and we just changed the transmission fluid and filter it won't shift out of first gear when driving it and doesn't want to go into reverse unless gassing on it a lot don't know whats wrong with it do you have any suggestions thank you

A: This may be a sign of a faulty transmission...

This may be a sign of a faulty transmission control solenoid. As you know, automatic transmissions use pressurized hydraulic fluid to change gears. Every time a gear change is required, the car’s computer activates a transmission solenoid, which directs transmission fluid into the valve body to engage the correct gear.

When this is faulty or not working properly, this can cause a delay in gear shifting or, in some cases, cause the car not to shift at all. I would recommend having an expert mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine why you are having difficulty shifting and suggest any needed repairs.