Q: Alternator Replace but Battery Indicator Light Remains Dim

I recently had a mechanic come to my home (this Thursday at 11am) to replace the alternator. I have already been towed twice this week because my battery died. After he replaced the alternator everything seems to be working properly except that now my battery indicator light is back on (although dim) along with my check engine light. I'm worried I'll have to be towed again so I haven't driven my car since. Can you provide any advice or assistance?

This may suggest a failing voltage regulator. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator. When the voltage regulator is not working properly, this may result in the alternator allowing too much power to be delivered to the battery resulting in damaging wires and prematurely sometimes destroying the battery. A common sign of this is usually the acid inside the battery boiling causing the battery to swell. In other cases it may result in the alternator not supplying enough power to the battery, resulting in undercharging the battery or not charging it at all. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your vehicle’s charging system.

3. Alternator Replace but Battery Indicator Light Remains Dim