Q: Alternator connector burnt through after rear strut replacement.

I had my rear struts replaced on my 1999 Lexus RX300 on Thursday and drove the car home (about 10 miles) no problem. I went out the following Saturday and smelled brakes, then plastic. Opened the hood to find the connector to my recently rebuilt alternator (about a year old) fried disconnected. Could they have mis-connected something in the ABS system to have caused this?

A: Hey there, I don’t think that the alternato...

Hey there, I don’t think that the alternator failure is related to your brake job. It sounds like the alternator may have developed an internal short that was unrelated to the brake repair. I recommend having a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic diagnose your electrical system and replace your alternator as needed.