Q: Alternator

Car will not start, checked battery good. Took off arternater and had ut tested bad. Got new one and still the same. Husand said the arternater should turn without belt. He does not remember how the belt goes back on.

A: Your car’s alternator relies on the belt to...

Your car’s alternator relies on the belt to power it so that it can generate and supply power to the battery. It will not turn on it’s own without the belt on it. You may also want to consider checking the voltage regulator which regulates the amount of power that the alternator generates and supplies to the battery. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to replace your alternator and diagnose your charging system.