Q: Alternator belt came off of a 2006 Ford Taurus

An Electrical System light is coming on. Also, the alternator was belt was smoking and came off the pulleys. The car is hard to steer, so I think it might have to do with the power steering.

A: Well, sounds like you might have a pulley t...

Well, sounds like you might have a pulley that is locked up. Pulleys lock up because of bad bearings. When this happens the belt can start smoking as it is forced over the pulley and eventually break or get knocked off. The belt runs all the accessories like the alternator, power steering, air conditioning, etc. I would seek the help of a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to help determine how to replace or repair your alternator belt.