Q: Alternator belt broke sometime from work to house

Okay. So I know next to nothing about cars... My wife bought cheep used car... Okay we are both busy busy people that have to come and go here and there for work... Since day one the check engine light was on... I could hear a belt squealing upon the initial free mile of driving from cold. Witch I assume now was the alternator belt.... (because the car ran surprisingly good, but if you tried to turn the account the battery light would come on.... But the temp gauge was showing perfect. And there were no sighs of anything major... That's until today she came home for a break... And I was gonna check the guide so I was gonna take her to work... The car took long to start and heated up quick... I never saw smoke or anything before I noticed the belt gone. I'm afraid she drove it hot and isn't telling me because she doesn't want to disappoint... Is and I'm scared she cracked a head gasket... Does it sound like I'm in trouble or? found the solution to all my problems.!?

If the engine has been overheated too much then you may have blown the head gasket. Try to put the belt on first and get the car running again. Make sure the coolant is full after the engine cools down. Once the new alternator belt and any other belt is installed, then see if the engine will start and run okay and charge okay. If you cannot do this work, then get in touch with a mechanic to come and fix it for you and inspect the overheating to see if it harmed the engine. They can also replace the alternator belt for you if needed.