Q: Alero won't start, no ignition coil recognition, service engine light, and beeping sound under glove compartment

My car won't start - just won't crank! No ignition coil recognition. I do have a service engine light and a beeping sound under the glove compartment. Can you help me know what this is?

A: I can’t think of what could be beeping unde...

I can’t think of what could be beeping under your glove box. Since your vehicle uses multiple coil packs, I’m going to guess that by no coil recognition, you mean there’s no spark. There are several potential causes for this, but if there isn’t spark to any cylinder, the most likely cause is the crankshaft position sensor. This is the main input the powertrain control module (PCM) for spark control. But you said your engine doesn’t even crank. Lack of spark should result in an engine that cranks, but doesn’t start. If your vehicle doesn’t crank at all, the problem is likely with the charging or starting system. I’m cannot say with certainty what the problem is without seeing the car. I suggest you have a professional inspect your car’s starting issue firsthand. YourMechanic is an excellent option since we make house calls.