Q: Air conditioning not working in the front of my SUV

Yesterday the front A/C just quit working on my SUV. It worked fine on the way to work, on the way to lunch, and then I stopped by the dealership to get wiper blades. Then, the front A/C just quit working when I got back in from the parts counter! I thought it was the controller, so I turned the truck off and cranked it again, but it was the same: no front air, but rear air. So, I went back to work and researched online and it said it could be blower motor. I checked the fuses and non blown up on the engine block. After a long hot drive home, my wife checked all the fuses. In the process, she broke a 40 amp circuit breaker, so off to the dealer again on Monday to get a new one.

So this is where it gets weird: I unhooked the ground cable from the battery so my wife would not get fried playing with fuses. After determining the fuses I could check were good, I hooked the battery cable up so I could go fill up the tank. Then, all of a sudden the A/C started working again. So this where I need your advice on a few things:

1. Do I need to go get it into the dealer for a code pull, inspection?

2. How do you pull those big circuit breakers (clear plastic female ones) out of the fuse box safely?

3. Friday, I had the SUV serviced: oil change, power steering and transmission fluid flush - a multi point inspection. Do you think that all it was is that the battery ground cable was not connected tight enough or something? Please give me some feedback! I am going on a road trip soon and I need to see if I need to bring it back to the dealer before I head out.

My guess is that the refrigerant level is low (from a leak somewhere) or there is a problem with the AC pressure cut out switch. The control module will cut power to the AC compressor if it determines the system does not have the correct pressure due to a low refrigerant level.

Disconnecting the battery probably temporarily reset the control module. There may or may not be codes stored in the HVAC system to aid with diagnosis.

You should be able to wiggle the large fuse out with your bare hands or gently remove it with a pair of pliers.

Finally, I do not think any of this has to do with the oil change that was performed.

3. Air conditioning not working in the front of my SUV