Q: Air conditioning not getting cool

The car heater works, but the air conditioning doesn't get cool. Also one of the torque bolts fell out of the torque converter. Now when I put the car into gear, it jerks. I also can't get my cruise control to work, and when I adjust my mirrors, the buttons sometimes don't work.

A: Hi there. It sounds like you have a series ...

Hi there. It sounds like you have a series of different problems occurring with your car. If the air conditioning is not getting cool, then most of the time this is caused by low refrigerant in the system. If it is only low, then adding some refrigerant may get it going again. A mechanic would typically install an AC gauge set to see what the pressures are to be able to tell what is going on. If a torque converter bolt fell out, that needs to be replaced ASAP to prevent flywheel damage. This will not cause the jerking. If the vehicle is jerking when it is put into gear, then that may be caused by bad engine mounts or by an internal transmission problem. I would start by checking the engine and transmission mounts for lose bolts or bad rubber supports.

If the cruise control is not working then it needs to be checked to see if it is getting voltage. If it is, then there may be a fault in the switch, which is the most common problem with this cruise control system. As for the mirrors, if they work some of the time and not others, then they may have a bad connection. A mechanic would remove the door panel and check the connection at the switch and make sure that it gets a steady supply of voltage. With this number of issues going on with your car, I would recommend that you get some help from a certified mechanic that has the experience to check these systems. A technician from YourMechanic can inspect all the electrical problems your car is facing and also inspect your vehicle's shifting problem.