Q: Air conditioning actuator makes awful sound under dashboard

The A/C actuators are making a huge racket sound under the dashboard. This is a constant occurrence, even when the car is not running. A few years ago, it was reported that the part had not been designed correctly and Nissan redesigned the part with a new and different part number. It is no longer under warranty, but I need to get this fixed. When researching on the internet, I found multiple complaints from drivers with this same problem. What is your advice and can I fix this myself?

A: Hello. We will be happy to help. I would su...

Hello. We will be happy to help. I would suggest getting a technician to help you perform the following checks.

Remove the actuator from the vehicle leave it plugged in so it can receive power. While the actuator is out, operate the AC system and observe the movement of the AC actuator. This will help quickly determine if the actuator is having trouble moving or if the blend door movement is restricted in the dashboard.

If the actuator is in good condition there may be some debris blocking the gears which operate the blend doors. Routine cabin air filter replacement will help keep such debris from entering the system.

If you'd like some assistance with these checks, feel free to contact a certified mechanic who can diagnose your A/C system and fix it accordingly.