Q: Air conditioner quit running - 1986 Dodge D150

My air conditioner wasn’t working very well. As soon as I turned it on it quit running. I checked the charge with the manifold gauge set. But the high pressure side has a smaller fitting that the standard 1 quarter of an inch on most cars that were still on the R12 system. So I need to know what adapter I need to hook up the manifold hoses. Do you know? Is this the only Dodge that did this? How can I get this fixed?

A: Hello. The best thing to do is to buy a ret...

Hello. The best thing to do is to buy a retrofit kit for the A/C system. This will have fittings that will replace the R12 fittings with 134A fittings that your manifold gauge set should fit with no problem. If you would rather have an expert scope the problem out, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your A/C system and make the proper adjustments and repairs.