Q: Air con isnt getting cold

its nearly summer so time to make sure the air con works, i turn it on for about 15 minutes to see if it gets cold and it doesnt, cant tell if its out of gas and not keen to spend the cash if its something small haha spent enough already... is there many steps i can check on my own before i take it to a shop

A: Hello. You likely need to [pressurize the r...

Hello. You likely need to [pressurize the refrigerant]https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/heating-ac-inspection) in the system properly. Unfortunately there is no way to test the system without hooking up gauges and physically testing it. If you have recently filled the system, there may be a leak. This would need to be repaired first. When you hook up a set of professional gauges, or have the system tested by a mechanic, they can test for pressure loss and make sure the system is closed. You can purchase charging kits at most automotive stores that will accomplish the basic job of adding refrigerant. Again the symptoms sound like the climate control us working perfectly fine, minus the fact the air is not getting cold enough. In this case, you are low on refrigerant and will need a recharge.