Q: Aftermarket wiper blades just seem to smear water on my windshield

Aftermarket wiper inserts don't seem to wipe the windshield properly on my Altima. The driver's side is especially bad - they don't clear the rain once they're about 12 inches from the hood. The top part of the blade just seems to smear the water, and leave streaks near the top. I have tried three different sets of wiper inserts, all different brands. There's no dust or sand here, no temperature extremes, average humidity, etc. The climate is pretty moderate. When I say "inserts", I mean the metal and rubber that attaches to the wiper arms.

I would recommend stoping by your local dealer and getting a pair of Nissan wiper blades for your car. Then I would get a good quality window cleaner and try and clean off the windows. If you are using a washer fluid with additives like Rain-X, then this fluid may put a film on your window that will not let the wiper make good contact with the window after it starts to build up. Try and use just plain window washer fluid and clean your windshield real good. This should fix the issue. If this doesn’t fix the problem, then have the windshield wiper system inspected for bent wiper arms and or defective glass on the window.