Q: After replacing the fuel pump, filter, relay, and 2 of 4 injectors, my car still won't start - 1997 Suzuki Sidekick

Problem started intermittently. It would stall out or not start but, after trying for 2-10 minutes, it would and run fine. Until it stopped for good.

It has spark. It tries to start when starting fluid is sprayed into the air intake.

I replaced the Fuel Filter first, then 2/4 of the injectors, then the pump, and the relay. I checked the lines and there does not appear to be a clog.

The fuel tank does not seem to be pressurizing, and it still does not start. I'm at a bit of a loss. I thought for sure it was the relay as I could not hear a solenoid when testing it on a 12v battery but alas, upon replacing it today, it still did not start.

My next thought is the ECM? Some sensor? I just don't know.

A: Hi and thanks for your question. This seems...

Hi and thanks for your question. This seems to be the camshaft sensor, crankshaft sensor, and the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor that is causing this issue. The MAF sensor will make the computer think that there is no air when there is air causing the computer to shut off the injectors or the ignition.

The camshaft sensor will tell the computer which cylinder is firing and where to apply fuel. The crankshaft sensor is where the computer knows where piston 1 is and when to fire the ignition and injectors, but it is not precise so the engine will not run correctly. If the crankshaft sensor is failing, it will cut off everything but allow the engine to crank only. Find the sensor that has failed and replace it.

If you need further assistance with your vehicle, then seek out a technician, such as one from YourMechanic, who can find and replace either the crankshaft, camshaft, or the MAF sensor.