Q: After replacing a bad starter my car will not turn over or fire. The starter cranks but no sounds of it wanting to start.

I'm wondering why it cranks and cranks but doesn't turn the engine? My battery is charged fully. The solenoid is correctly hooked to battery. I must have done something wrong or something else is the issue. Everything to my knowledge is hooked up like as it should be. I can't help but feel that one thing is keeping the whole from working.

Hello, thank you for writing in. When you get into this type of situation and are stumped, take the starter back off and retrace your steps as you do. Double check everything including the alignment of the starter to the engine. Often starters come with shims because they need a little adjustment to sit correctly. Double check all of your electrical connections as you reinstall the starter again. Make sure they are all clean, dry, and tight. If none of the above corrects the issue, make sure you engine is not bound. To do this you will need to get a large socket or breaker bar attached to the crankshaft pulley (there will be a bolt). If you cannot turn the crankshaft, the engine is bound up and you will need to seek professional help. For more help resolving the issue, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

• After replacing a bad starter my car will not turn over or fire. The starter cranks but no sounds of it wanting to start.